Gitignore.io Open Source System Architecture
Building A Service On Great Open Source Tools
I’ve been working on gitignore.io as a side project since February 10th, 2013 and the service has slowly grown to host over 250 gitignore templates. I finally got a chance to create a diagram of gitignore.io’s architecture to show how I maintain an extremely low cost service built using amazing open source and free tools.
- GitHub Free OSS - Source code repository
- Travis CI Free OSS - Continuous integration and unit testing
- Heroku Staging Free Single Dyno - Public facing staging app for online testing of latest build
- Heorku Production Free Single Dyno - Public facing production app
- CloudFlare Free Website - Content Distribution Network
IWantMyName $49 - Domain name provider
- Domain - gitignore.io
- User Web Request
All of these free tools allow gitignore.io to run as an open source project serving 500,000 requests and 30,000 unique visitors per month.